This first-in-the-nation program, which reimburses nonpublic schools for the salaries of qualified grades 3–12 STEM teachers, helps us achieve our goal of solving the tuition crisis and making our schools even better. Teach NYS led an advocacy campaign involving thousands of parents and students, and worked alongside bipartisan policymakers in Albany, to pass the original STEM bill in 2017. Since then, Teach NYS has successfully advocated for additional funding for this program, bringing total funding up to $324 million for first eight years of the program.
For a teacher to qualify for a reimbursement, the teacher must:
- Not teach any religious subjects at the school and:
- Meet one of the following criteria:
- Be certified to teach [any subject or age] in New York State
- Hold a Master’s degree or Ph.D. in any STEM subject or Education
- Hold a Bachelor’s degree in any STEM subject or Education and is currently enrolled in a Master’s or Ph.D. program in a STEM subject or Education
- This NYSED program reimburses nonpublic schools for a portion of the salaries of STEM subject teachers.
- Teach will always continue to successfully maintain and/or increase total funding each year. We successfully increased from $5 million in Year 1 to $73 million for Year 8 alone.
- Teachers must be eligible and teach any grade 3-12.
- Nearly any eligible STEM subject is eligible, such as Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math classes.
Teach NYS’s Role
- Championed the program since Day 1.
- Helped over 135 schools with nearly 750 applications in round 6 alone.
- Assisted with about 1/4 of all applications ever submitted.
- Spent about 2.5 hours applications for each school.
- Hosts webinars and walks schools through the application process.
- Helps schools identify and recruit more eligible teachers.
- Liaise with NYSED on behalf of schools.
STEM Testimonials for Teach NYS from Schools
“Thanks so much for all of your support. It is tremendously appreciated.” – Rabbi Yahel Tsaidi, Head of Elementary School, Yeshiva of Flatbush, Brooklyn
“Got the feedback. Super helpful. So appreciative of your help and guidance.” – Barbara T. Etra, Principal, Rabbi Arthur Schneier Park East Day School, Manhattan
“I love your tenacity and drive to make sure that Jewish day schools get their even share of the money. Thank you for being there and having our backs! You are appreciated!” – Ofier Sigal, Principal of General Studies, North Shore Hebrew Academy Elementary School, Great Neck
“Thank you for hosting today’s call. It was very informative and it made me appreciate how much time and attention you give to ALL the schools. We are lucky to have you as a resource!” – Michelle Chrein, Executive Assistant to the Executive Director, Manhattan Day School, Manhattan
If you would like your school to apply for this program, please contact email@example.com